The estate and its history. 

The history of Tenuta di Casaglia starts with first known inhabitants of the place - Etruscans.  
Between 1925 and 1935, thanks to archeological excavations at the foot of the hill of Casaglia, beautiful tholos-shaped tombs dated from V.-VI B.C. were found.  
It was then discovered that the hilltop of Tenuta di Casaglia served as an important trade road linking the land to the sea.

   

 

 

 

 

Etruscan Tomb-urn

 

 

The written notes on the Casaglia Castel - Castrum Casaliae appeared around 1186. From the XIV c. the life in the region became extremely difficult because of epidemics and political conflicts. In 1700 the lands of Casaglia passed to the Espinassi Moratti Family.  Thanks to the irrigation works realized in XIXth c., Casaglia property was transformed into fertile agriculture lands. With the introduction of new plants: corn, olive trees and vineyards, the new buildings were built to storm the harvests. 

 

 

 

Map of Casaglia dating from the 17th century.

 

 

The external elevations of the main Casaglia buildings remain almost intact. The oldest part of Casaglia dates from 1100. The most important changes were introduced in the years 1850-1870 under N.H. Cav. Giovanni Battista Espinassi Moratti.  

 

 

 

 

 

N.H. Cav. Giovanni Battista 

Espinassi Moratti 

 

 

 

The inheritress, Baroness Maria-Giovanna Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim (+2007), whose grandmother was born Espinassi Moratti, managed to make Casaglia grow into a successful agriturismo where special attention was given to the authentic atmosphere of the estate, a property which has been in the family since over three centuries.  Together with her son, Baron Andreas Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim, they administrated the estate with its harvest: in 2001  Tenuta di Casaglia was granted with the 1st Price Mercurio d'oro and the title of Premio Citta di Pisa 2001 for its agriculture activities.  Buildings were renovated such as the old barn which has been transformed into a concert hall (with perfect acoustics), as well as the little castle with the tower.

In spite of the numerous activities an estate demands, the well-being of the guest in Casaglia was always set as a priority.  Importance was, and still is, attached to religious spirituality in Casaglia, fundamental for a peaceful rest.

 

 

Baroness Maria-Giovanna Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim

 

 

Casaglia today.  

When in 2007 Baron and Baroness Andreas Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim inherited the estate, their aim was to maintain the family tradition and to continue to make Casaglia a dream location for guests who long for a rest from the daily hectic.   They wished to maintain a typical Tuscan countryside atmosphere,  by keeping its authenticity whilst introducing modern facilities and more comfort.

Thanks to the initiative of the new owners and thanks to the support of the community, the conditions of the very old buildings were improved by renovating most of the roofs.  

The baron and baroness also created more apartments in the existing buildings due to the growing request.     Many more new olive trees were planted as the fertile grounds and the climatic conditions of Casaglia makes the olive oil worth producing.

The very old cemetery of Casaglia has been renovated as well as the Chapel of Saint Lucy, reviving an old tradition of the feast of Santa Lucia in Casaglia and its surroundings.

In spite of its size (with 400 hectares of ground Casaglia is one of the largest agri-touristic estates in Tuscany), it has remained a family operation with charm and personality.  Andreas and Marianna Weihrauch Di Pauli von Treuheim with their family desire this continues. 

 

Baron and Baroness Andreas and Marianna Weihrauch Di Pauli,

picture taken by their son.